June 3, 2010

Welcome

Hey there and welcome to my pet album blog. This will be a very special album for me and my mother.

Firstly, about cats.

We had a number of lovely cats in the past, our first one was a white, dark, and brown one with a short tail, then we had a pure black cat. When we moved house we had to leave them behind. This was around 2003.

Then we adopted a female black and white (tuxedo breed) cat, who gave birth to 6 very beautiful kittens in 2006 (under my bed apparently), 4 of which we had to give away. Then we named 2 of them, Bluebell (female) and Kuku (male). We documented photographs extensively of them because we fell in love with them. Unfortunately, we had to eventually give them away as we were moving back to my home country. We really hope they are happy and healthy where they are and in the care of loving owners...because we really really miss them!!! :'(

In my homeland (Philippines) we had a very beautiful female long-haired tortoiseshell cat, who was apparently imported from France. My mom actually found her somewhere and she was in a pretty bad condition but my mother managed to nurse her back to health. My mom named her Da Vinci (dunno why lol) but anyway she was a new member to the family. She was extremely quiet and enjoyed being left on her own most of the time. On rare occasions, mostly night time she would meow and I would get excited to hear. Anyway she always liked going outside and one day she befriended one of our neighbors and came to enjoy staying with them instead. It was understandable because we own a dog and the two don't usually get alone (hehe) and our neighbors took very good care of them. On a sad note, she was later sold by one of my step-relatives WITHOUT our permission; my mother, me, and our neighbors were all VERY upset even to this very day.

Our present cats I found in February 2010, abandoned in some empty grass lot as baby kittens, probably around 1-2 weeks old. There were 3 of them and they were all male but I just had to rescue them because they looked dehydrated in the boiling sun. Anyway I looked after them and it was a real pleasure. Their fur color was white, orange and black. They are still with me today except for one who I haven't seen for around 4 days now, I think he's all grown up! (last time I checked he was following another cat, maybe he found some new friends) I let them run around the whole house and there is always access to the outdoors, so they have the freedom to explore. Many in my country would see them as just normal streets cats, dirty and ugly, and treat them like another piece of garbage, but I do not see them that way. In my eyes they are beautiful if we nurture them in a caring and healthy environment.

Now, our dog.

I've never really ever imagined or planned I would ever have a dog, but the moment I settled in the Philippines it became a reality. On December 2007 we heard newly born puppies in the thick lush grass next to the church and so we decided to go rescue them. The mother was also nearby. We rescued 4 of them which was pretty neat but unfortunately only 1 survived, and we named him Bubbles (brown and white coat). The other 3 (all brown) died of parvovirus despite our best efforts to treat them at the veterinary. Anyway, Bubbles grew up to be an interestingly admirable dog, and I always enjoy walking and jogging with him. He can misbehave sometimes for example when he goes out if someone leaves the gate open or barks when someone passes by, but most of the time he is extremely gentle and loves my attention.

Parrot!

On July 2010, we found a parrot that was being rejected by a nearby neighbor, and so we decided to take care of it. It has really beautiful green feathers, and gets very noisy when it wants our attention or is hungry. I usually give it many fruits, seeds and vegetables. I think I've grown an attachment to it as I am always trying to teach it to speak but it seems it's out of his/her vocal range (I still can't tell if it's a boy or girl). Also, I let it out of the cage time to time and it won't fly away, instead it will sit in my hand, arm or shoulder (even head) and likes to bite my finger (not a hard bite though).

We also had another parrot flew in and was just sitting there looking curious, so I gave it some seeds and eventually gave it a new cage. We put them right next to each other so they don't get lonely. They tend to make a lot of sounds I sometimes wonder if it drives the neighbors insane lol.

Anyway, for the visitors out there, hope you enjoy this pet album blog. In a way it is dedicated to all our pets and to every pet lover. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment